A Macaron Manual
– egg whites –
Use them at room temperature, meaning leave the eggs on the counter for at least an hour.
– if desired, almond meal = cake flour –
I know it’s not “traditional”, but I’ve made this exact substitution many times and if anything, the macarons came out fluffier and chewier.
– double sifted dry ingredients –
Sift your almond meal and sugar together twice.
– use a food processor to combine all dry ingredients –
It grinds them into one perfect mixture. Alternatively, use a coffee grinder.
– for sugar, use powdered or superfine/castor –
– tap the baking sheet –
It gets out air bubbles. It’ll give the cookies their characteristic flat top.
– find a reliable, basic recipe to base flavor variations off of –
Mine is from David Leibovitz and it’s never failed me.